Monday, January 21, 2013

Russell is ONE YEAR OLD!

I know, I know.  This is more than a month late.  Go ahead, call me a bad mom.  Or maybe just a bad blogger.  And then forgive me and take a look at what my adorable little boy is up to these days!

At 12 months, Russell:
  • Weighs 16lbs 5.5oz, which isn't on the charts
  • Measures 27.5 inches, which is barely below the charts as well
  • Has a head circumference in the 38th percentile
  • Wears size 3-6 month clothes and size 2 diapers.  He only has 3 wet diapers a day
  • Can crawl, cruise, and scale stairs going both up and down.  I quite love that he can go up and down stairs.  Check this out:

  • Can stand up in the middle of a room, without pulling up on anything, and stand for a few short seconds
  • Loves the cat and dogs.  They cheer him right up when he's feeling down
  • Is pretty great at eating a good variety and volume of solid foods.  He doesn't rip things with his teeth very well, so I have to cut everything into small pieces, but otherwise he does well.  He isn't yet into the habit of throwing everything off of his tray, which I appreciate very much!  When there's something that he feels very strongly about not eating, then he'll drop it on the ground or just put it off to the side
  • Has a favorite breakfast of wheat toast with margarine and homemade apple butter
  • Has a favorite lunch of green smoothie (made with yogurt, apple juice, spinach, carrots, peaches, blueberries, and strawberries)
  • Drinks 8-12oz of formula each day from a Nuk sippy cup.  I would highly recommend them (as would our feeding therapist)!  They don't have a valve, so it's easier for a baby to drink when they're not entirely motivated to drink more.  And it makes for an easier transition from the bottle to a cup. Russell will almost always drink 4oz when he first wakes up, and the rest of his formula is taken an ounce or so at a time.  He is usually not very willing to drink at all by the evening.  He's also very, very bloated in the evening.  Poor boy.  I wouldn't want to eat if I looked like that, either.  I kid you not, every single morning when I get him dressed I see his skinny little belly and give it kisses that make him giggle.  Then every single night when I undress him to put on his jammies I'm always, always surprised at how huge his belly looks.  You'd think I'd be used to it by now
  • Drinks water from a straw sippy cup.  He often demands water while in the middle of a meal.  Likes to keep his palette moist, I suppose.  He probably only drinks an ounce or two a day, but it's somethin'!
  • Is anemic.  :/  The GI doc wrote a prescription for iron, but the pharmacy said that it was actually an over-the-counter med.  But then I couldn't find it on the shelf.  Hmm.  So I've just been giving him a multivitamin with 100% iron, but he still sleeps a lot at night.  It's not abnormal for him to sleep from 9PM to 11AM.  Although, he has been having a shorter nap than he used to, and he always wakes up mad from his naps.  :(  I attribute it to teething
  • Is still on reflux meds 2x/day.  It seems to help him to drink a bit more formula, but it's hard to tell
  • Has 12 teeth (I think).  The front four on top and bottom, and one molar on each side on both the top and the bottom.  He's still missing his eye teeth/canines/fangs/whatevertheyrecalled.  I think it's weird that his molars have come in but the others haven't
  • Claps when we say "yay!" and waves when we say "bye-bye."  He even has a proper wave, with his hand facing outward
  • Is very good with taking a bath in the kitchen sink.  He doesn't splash much at all.  We've recently moved him to the tub to take a bath with Caleb, just when it's convenient to have one person bathe both boys.  But our bath tub is super deep and huge, so it's hard to reach him.  I prefer the sink
In this particular sink bath, Caleb was concerned that Russell didn't have any toys.  I told him he could get Russ a rubber ducky, so he ran upstairs and grabbed the big box full of bath toys from under the bathroom sink and hauled it all of the way downstairs, set it in front of the sink, and pulled out all three rubber duckies and gave them to a very happy little Russell.
  • Still uses his mouth as a third hand, as you can see in the above picture.
  • Points at EVERYTHING!  This is very wonderful.  This is how babies learn words.  He points, I label.
  
  • Loves books with big, colorful pictures and toy cars.  He is quite good at pushing cars around the floor
  • Will dance to any music.  Even if I'm singing "pop goes the weasel" he'll dance.  He's a dancing fool, I tell you
  • Enjoys putting objects into containers
  • Loves me more than anything.  Very rarely does he want to go to anyone but me, although it has happened a few times.  His face lights up every time he sees me.  Although, he is better about being separated from me, which is sooo nice.
  • Has a personality to match mine.  Caleb's personality is so very similar to Nate.  They do everything alike.  Good thing I love them both.  ;)  But they're so busy and fun-loving and at times very exhausting, and I'm more calm and quiet.  It's nice to have Russ around.  Like me, he likes to have fun when he's feeling comfortable in a familiar situation, but he's also cautious and shy and quiet at times.  He balances out our family.  Oh, I do so love having him around!

1 comment:

*Alice Anne* said...

Lol at Russell going down the stairs! So cute. He has mastered that!!