Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Home Improvements: Master Vanity

Our master bedroom doesn't have its own bathroom, but that's ok!  Because what it does have is a door directly into the shared bathroom and, most awesomely, its very own vanity and sink.  But the mirror and light fixture desperately needed some updating.  I don't have a picture of the old light (it was a hideous swirly gold thing from the 70s), but here is what the mirror looked like:

 Straight out of the 70s.  Awful.  Hideous.  Terrible in every way.  Also, huge and expensive to replace with an equally huge mirror.  So what did I do?  I took it apart, discarded the frame and built a new wood frame around the old mirror.  Hooray for being handy!

How did I pull it off?  I found baseboard trim that I liked, measured my pieces to overlap the mirror about halfway, and cut the ends at a 45-degree angle.  Then I stained the wood, front and back (make sure to stain or paint the back, too, since a little bit of it will be reflected by the mirror), and used super strong glue (the kind you use in a calk gun) to adhere the new frame to the mirror.  I had the mirror laying flat on some stools so gravity and I could work together to keep the frame from moving.  Once the glue was mostly dry, I used wood filler to fill in the imperfections on the corners, stained the wood filler, and put on a few coats of protective polyurethane.  To hang it, I screwed two "d" ring hooks on the sides, strung some wire between them and hung it on the wall.  I also put on a bunch of mirror sticker things to the back to help hold it to the wall (the whole thing weighs 20 lbs, so I wanted all the reinforcement I could get).  Here is the result:
 While I was at it, I removed the old towel holders (also from the 70s) and replaced it with the one you see above.
 This lovely light fixture was a pain to install.  Let's just say if you don't close your sink drain before dealing with lots of screws, you may end up replacing all of the plumbing under the sink.  And by all, I mean all.  I'm pretty thankful to have a handy, helpful, and kind father-in-law who is willing to sacrifice his Saturdays to clean up my messes.  ;)
 Aaaahhhh, just lovely.  So worth it.  It makes the whole room feel so much nicer.  And it cost around $30.  Not bad!

While I was at it, the adjacent bathroom had the same vanity mirror.  Ugh.  So I planned on doing the same thing to the mirror, but when I was on my way to the trim department in Home Depot, I spotted this lovely little mirror on an end cap, marked down to $30 from $140!  I snatched that sucker up (it was the perfect size!) and while I was at it I bought a little floating shelf to go under it and give it a little dimension.  
 I also replaced the light fixture and the sink faucet (the old one was ugly and dripped).
 It looks like a new bathroom!  And the beautiful new shower curtain seals the deal.  I love it.
 The curtain covers our giant 2-shower-headed corner tub, which received an amazing cleaning recently.  I'll share my secrets some day.  Believe me, you'll be glad to know.

How do you like it all?  It's so worth it to do these little things on your own.  If you've never changed a sink faucet or a light fixture, go ahead and try it!  Light fixtures especially are one of the easiest, cheapest, and most transforming home improvement projects that you can do!


TDC Before and After

1 comment:

David richard said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.