Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Me

We all know how my body hates pregnancy.  This time (and last time, too), I've been diagnosed with postpartum thyroiditis, a temporary condition in which my thyroid overproduces, causing hyperthyroidism.

I've had hypothyroidism for 10 years now, and my thyroid levels have been stable that entire time with me taking 88mcg of levothyroxine.  Without that tiny green pill every morning, I'm very, very sick.  Thyroid function sometimes changes during pregnancy, so I've always had my thyroid checked during each trimester and 6 weeks after delivery.  My numbers have always been fine except for after delivering Russell and Zachery, when my thyroid goes into overdrive.  With Russ, the doctor just wanted to watch it with extra blood tests  and see what would happen.  It normalized after a few months and all was fine, although I suspect that had to do with my postpartum depression and awful milk supply.  This time around, my OB wanted me to cut my thyroid pill in half and follow up with an endocrinologist.  What did the endo find?  We are grossly under-treating my thyroid and he wants me to go back on my full dose and get my blood checked again in two months.  Also, I'm very vitamin d deficient and need to take OTC supplements religiously.

I haven't felt that tired lately.  Only as tired as I would expect to be with three small, crazy boys and too many 8AM doctor appointments.  I have felt an unhealthy amount of anxiety lately, so hopefully that will improve when my thyroid normalizes.  And maybe I'll find out how it feels to be able to hop out of bed easily in the morning, and keep up with my kids all day!  One can hope....

Also, the endo ran some tests to see where I'm at with my PCOS.  I'm glad to report that I'm NOT pre-diabetic (which is a common concern with PCOS).  Not even close.  Whew!  And my liver and kidneys are happy, which is good.

No comments: