Friday, January 28, 2011

Fear of a Child

Accompanying Caleb's newfound sense of identity is a small bundle of things he fears. Here is a picture of the four things that he's scared of:
Yes, it's supposed to look like that. Here is a picture that is a little more revealing:
He is scared of: 1) the dryer (when it's running with clothes in it), 2) that little bobble-head turtle made out of a coconut, 3) the dark, 4) the absence of me.

I don't really care about the turtle or the dryer, but my goodness, Child! I have to leave his room light on when I put him to bed (and I turn it off once he's asleep--thankfully he has still never woken up in the night). I hope I can find a night light that does the trick. I don't want him to get too used to sleeping in a bright room.

And the absence of me? Well, it's just a phase (I hope and pray). I like that he loves me that much, but sometimes a mom has to walk to the door to let the dog out. You'd think a child would be ok with that, but no. No, my child is not ok with that.

What ever happened to "the faith of a child"? I guess I had better teach my child better. He's just too filled with fear.

Oh, and I think the morning nap phase is coming to an end. He hardly ever sleeps in the AM, but he's still cranky in the afternoon if he doesn't get his AM nap...hmmm...I guess this transition might be a little rough.

And did I mention that he's been able to crawl up the stairs for over a month now?

2 comments:

Being An Allred said...

You are a great mom, I know it is hard. Ella won't let me leave either. It makes things so hard. Love ya and I miss your hand and foot matches. :)

brenkachicka said...

I know it's hard when you're in the middle of the phase, but really, it's SO SO SO SO good that he is having separation anxiety! Christian never ever had that, and it can be an early indication of autism. With my neuro typical kids, the separation anxiety lasted 2 to 3 months. Just reassure him, and don't sneak out on him when you do have to leave him. Let him see you go, let him see you come back. He'll be fine, and so will you!