Thursday, May 19, 2011

18 Months!

Yes, my child is now a year and a half old. Weird. This is what he's been up to lately:
  • Weighs 17 lbs 6 oz and is almost 30 inches long
  • Wears some 3-6 month clothes, some 6-9 month clothes, and some 12 month t-shirts
  • Can put shapes through the hole that they fit in and can stack rings on one of those pyramid stacking toys
  • Says "yeah!" whenever he accomplishes anything
  • Knows that rags are for wiping his face and blowing his nose and that brushes are for brushing his hair
  • Blows on his food to cool it down
  • Knows and uses 30-40 words
  • Walks all over the place and can finally (as of a few weeks ago) get to a standing position without pulling on furniture
  • Can climb on the couch
  • Is completely obsessed with shoes
  • May be entering a tantrum phase (boy does he get sad when he doesn't get his way), but is still easily distracted and calmed
Caleb also went to the Nursery class in our Church for the very first time! This was a big deal. I wasn't worried at all about him, because he doesn't have a lot of stranger anxiety and he likes to play and keep himself busy. We dropped him off and he was happy as could be, so we left. After an hour, I went to check on him, and he was crying harder than I had ever seen him cry. Ever. Apparently an older man named Roland was there at the beginning of class with his two granddaughters, and Caleb started clinging to him. Caleb has never sat in a chair before (he's just plainly too small), so Roland held him on his lap for snack time and they became buds. When Roland left to go to his own Sunday School class, Caleb freaked out. He had only been crying for a few minutes when I got there, but it was very sad. :( So, I stayed with him for the second hour and he did great, except for when I tried to sit him in a chair on his own to color. He didn't like that. So I just held him and he was happy as could be. Until it was time to play with toys and he forgot all about me. One of the nursery leaders is going to be gone this Sunday, so they asked if I could stay and help out, so Caleb gets me for one more week. Hopefully by then he'll be comfortable enough to stay on his own.

Oh, how big my baby is getting!

Also, Caleb was given another general yet in-depth assessment by his therapist. He isn't technically delayed in any area, which is great. Most of his motor skills are at his adjusted age level (15 months) but that was because he wasn't able to use the shape sorter when he was evaluated. Now he's doing even better! Also, his receptive and expressive language/communication skills are at the level of a 2-year-old! YAY! The therapist said that once he knows about 50 words he will start using simple sentences. He already says "all done." I think another language burst in on the horizon!

It's nice to have one thing that I certainly don't have to worry about. Caleb's brain is working just fine. What a relief.

1 comment:

Nana said...

I'd love to see a video of him saying 'yeah!' I can't wait to see him again. I miss him- and his parents.