Wednesday, August 24, 2011

23 weeks! It's time to party!

(Please forgive the poor angle of this picture. I took it myself about 60 seconds ago.)

I have been counting down to this day for...oh...about 19 weeks (aka, since I found out I was pregnant).

If premature delivery is a problem for you, you know that 23 weeks is a very magical number. It's where the pregnancy becomes "viable." Well, some would argue that 24 is the week of viability, but a baby born in the 23rd week has a 17 percent chance of living (found on my good friend's blog, here), and that's the point at which I would feel comfortable demanding that doctors resuscitate my baby. I personally know a 23-weeker who was born shortly after Caleb, and who was in the same hospital as him. If you think Caleb is doing remarkably well, then she's doing extremely remarkably well! Seriously, that girl is amazing. It gives me a lot of hope in case this pregnancy doesn't go as long as I'd like.

(I might be crazy, but I've gotten to the point now where every day that something doesn't go wrong I breathe a huge sigh of relief. I can't shake the feeling that if something does go wrong, it will be some time in the next 4 weeks, because that's when things went south with my last pregnancy. Nate even said yesterday, "Wow, this pregnancy is going so much worse than the last one!" Yikes. Let's hope he's wrong. So, I'm trying to take it easy while at the same time enjoying the fact that it's "safe" to still do fun things. So, if you want to hang out with me some time, you might want to do it soon, just in case!)

Just in case you're interested, here is the chart from my friend's blog:

Survival Rates for Preemies:
23 weeks: 17%
24 weeks: 39%
25 weeks: 50%
26 weeks: 80%
27 weeks: 90%
28-31 weeks: 90-95%
32-33 weeks: 95%
34+ weeks: Almost as likely as a full-term baby

I still plan on at least getting farther than last time. Into the 30s would be nice. :)

So, to celebrate the possibility that Little Purser could live if he was to be born any time now, I think I'm going to have a piece of cake. Well, probably two. :)

By the way, did you know that this week my baby is almost a foot long and weighs just over one pound? Isn't that amazing? I've seen babies that size! In real life! Cool.

2 comments:

Katie B said...

Yay 23! That is a super cute shirt, by the way

*Alice Anne* said...

Ahhh! Pregnant belly! I get excited for every week that passes. :)