Thursday, August 9, 2012

Russell is 7.5 months old!

It's a bit of a random update, I know, but he had a check-up with the pediatrician today to follow up on his growth and development, so I thought it would be a good time to tell you what's goin' on in The Exciting Life of Russell!

At 7.5 months old, Russell:
  • Weighs 14lbs 8oz.  He is playing a bit of "catch-up" with his weight, which is awesome!  He has gained 1lb 12oz in the last month and a half.  He's still well below the charts, but he's gaining at a faster rate than would be expected, which is promising.  I'm not sure about the percentiles for his length and head, but he has grown a quarter of an inch in the last month and a half and his head is 1.7cm larger.  I don't know if that's good or bad, but it is what it is!
  • Is starting to make 0-3 month clothes look small, but seriously drowns in most 3-6 month clothes
  • Has seven teeth!  Four on the top and three on the bottom.  I may never get a picture of them because he almost never smiles with his mouth open.  This is a classic Russell face: (so cute!) 
  • Doesn't "talk" much.  His cooing has increased since starting solid foods, but I still can only count on one hand the number of times that he has coo'd to himself (such as while laying awake in his crib).  The "normal" age range for babies to start babbling with consonances is 4-6 months, and Russell doesn't do that yet.  The lack of babbling isn't a real concern quite yet, but the shortage of cooing is.  I asked the pediatrician if I should be concerned (I mean, I don't want to make a big deal out of small things, but I also want to make sure that my baby gets what he needs to develop and thrive) and he suggested a hearing test through Early Intervention.  So he has an evaluation on Friday to record his development in all areas, and a hearing test will be scheduled shortly.  He automatically qualifies for any therapy that he may need since he has a Failure to Thrive diagnosis, but he may not actually need any therapy.  We'll see though.  Do 7.5-month-olds ever actually receive speech therapy?  Who knows?!
  • Loooves those solid foods!  His favorites are rice cereal, baby puffs, and Gerber arrowroot cookies.  He kind of has a fit if he sees them and I don't give them to him immediately.  :)  I LOVE IT!  It's awesome.  This video shows how he reacts when eating something that he finds absolutely, beautifully, delectably, wonderful

    • Won't take a bottle for the life of him.  We spent four hours in the car between here and Idaho and he spent over half an hour crying because a) he was hungry and wouldn't take his bottle, and b) he was tired and refuses to sleep anywhere but his crib.  Except that he has fallen asleep in the car before, but never with anyone in sight, and we were in a full minivan on this trip.  Hmm
    • Crawls caterpillar style.  Cutest thing ever.  Seriously.  Video shall be forthcoming
    • Is so pleasant since learning how to crawl!  I think he must have just been restless and that's why he was so cranky.  Now he's so sweet, I have a hard time not squeezing his sweet little self all day!
    • Loves to pull himself up on his knees to bounce.  The toy box, wipes box, my leg, laundry basket, everything low enough for him to reach the top of.  He's crazy about it
    • Has stored in his memory that the lower drawer in the kitchen can be pulled out and he can pull himself up on his knees on it.  Yep.  He runs (aka, caterpillar crawls) for it every time he's on the kitchen floor.  One of these days I won't be able to get to him fast enough and he's going to slam some fingers...:(
    • Can not only sit for forever, but can go from sitting to crawling without face planting and has twice gone from crawling to sitting on his own
    • Always saves a smile for the cat.  They love playing together (Captain Hook is much more gentle with Russell than he is with Caleb).  The Cap'n wears these claw caps to keep the babes safe from scratches. They played like this for so long!
    • Has some new favorite toys this month: plastic dinosaurs.  It's weird how different it is for second children as opposed to first...
    • Also loves to stuff soft blankets in his mouth as a source of comfort.  A little weird
    • Also loves to race towards any shoes that may have been left in the playroom
    • Laughs pretty much every single time Caleb touches him.  It's adorable! (even though Caleb thinks tickling means pinching and twisting):

    • Is a major baldie (much more so than Caleb was), and that's ok with me
    • Is seriously attached to me.  For probably two months now he has been having meltdowns every time I walk in the opposite direction as him.  This phase only lasted for a week or two with Caleb.  Never mind if I'm just going to the door to let the dog out.  Never mind if I'm swiftly moving Caleb from the couch to the laminate floor behind the couch so he doesn't throw up on the new couch or carpet (true story).  It was seriously just three feet, and I moved too fast for Russell's comfort (but thankfully fast enough to keep the couch and carpet clean).  I then had to leave Caleb naked, leave the vomit on the floor, and throw the cat outside so he wouldn't try to assist in cleaning up the mess while I comforted Russell for about five minutes.  Ugh.  But today I was able to take my dish to the sink in the other room without coming back to a horrified baby!  Hooray!  Dare I allow myself to think that this phase may be coming to an end...?
    • Loves strangers.  On Sunday he demanded to be allowed to stand against the back of the pew so he could flirt with the people behind us
    • Wakes up two to three times every night.  Not cool.  It's worst when he's teething.  He's happy to be put down in his crib as long as I've nursed him for at least 6 minutes (yes, I time it) and as long as he doesn't have a gas bubble.  Gas is the only thing that keeps him from truly being consolable.  He used to be better at sleeping at night, but since his FTT diagnosis I felt like maybe I should still let him eat at night if he wants.  Since then he has added a night feeding.  Now that he's doing better with his weight, I'm going to do something about it.  I don't know if I can go on like this for another seven months!
    • Has won my affection a million times over!  I can't get enough of this sweet kid!  His little grin, his squishy thighs, the way he cough-cries when he wants so nurse, his deep blue eyes and dark eyelashes...how did I get so lucky?

    No comments: