Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Home Improvements: Father's Day Desk!

Ever since my first two projects (here and here), I've been keeping an eye out for good deals on ugly furniture that's just begging to be made beautiful.  Last week I came across this incredible desk listed for $40.  I practiced my deal-making skills and got it for $30.  ;)


It is definitely one-of-a-kind with those details!  That's what drew me to it.  It's pretty light, which is fine for what I plan on using it for, but if I were to use it for everyday, heavy duty use then it probably wouldn't hold up.  But I'm ok with that.  Of course, when I got it home I was so excited to start working on it that I forgot to take "before" pictures until after I started sanding the top!

I decided to do something different with this one.  It will live in our "front room," which has sort of a formal feel to it with a vaulted ceiling and wing back chairs.  All of the furniture in that room has cherry wood somewhere.  I wanted the desk to feel like it belonged there, but I also wanted it to help make the transition from that room into the rest of the house a little smoother.  See, I fell in love with the couch in the front room when we first bought our house, long before I really decided on my personal decorating style, and the rest of the room was decorated around the couch.  But the couch isn't farmhouse-ish at all, and the rest of the house is leaning towards a farmhouse feel.  So I wanted to make the desk sort of blend those two styles.  And I must say, I'm really pleased with the result!

I had everything that I needed on hand except for the paint, so this was a pretty inexpensive project!

All I did was sand down the top really, really well...until it was down to the bare wood.  I lightly sanded the rest.  Then I taped off the bottom part of the desk and stained the top with two coats of some wood stain that I had on hand.  Then I taped off the top and painted the bottom with a $3 sample can of Behr Polished Pearl (I picked this color because I love the look of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White, but I'm not willing to pay the price for it.  You can find the chart matching ASCP colors to Behr latex paint colors here).

The body was a royal pain to paint, with all of those corners and curves.  But all in all, factoring in the time it took to let paint dry, it only took three days to complete!  And that's with a clingy toddler trying to sit in my lap while I work.  Not bad!  That also includes two coats of wipe-on poly to give it a little more durability and cleanability.

This lovely little desk is now my handsome husband's workstation for when he works at home!  It perfectly holds his laptop along with an extra screen, an extra keyboard, and a mouse.  And it's on the opposite side of the house as the playroom, so he can have a little peace and quite while he works.  He used it for the first time just this morning, and it's perfect!

I used the original hardware, and just love the way it looks!

 After putting on two coats of wipe-on poly, I brushed on a coat of high gloss polyurethane on the stained part, just to give it a little more shine and make it easier to wipe down if/when it gets dirty.

How do you like it?  Not bad for $33!


TDC Before and After

3 comments:

Kari Pike said...

Magnificent! You did a beautiful job and I really admire your creativity. hugs~

Katie Bradley said...

That rocks. I think you should market these skills, you could make a killing off of your refinished pieces!

Alice Anne said...

Wow, you have a good eye! I wouldn't have thought twice about that desk at first, but it looks amazing now. Impressive! :)