Sunday, November 14, 2010

12 Months Old

Someone had a birthday!

(Oh, and in case you haven't figured it out by now, I decided to start using our real names. It's not like you don't know them already. :P I mainly tried to be discreet for the sake of someone else who needs to keep her family's identity private. I'm pretty sure that I won't be putting them in jeopardy, however. But just to be clear, at home we do call each other The Kid, The Boy, and The Girl at times. :) And just because I'm using our real names doesn't mean that I'm going to give out our address or our social security numbers. Sorry.)


At 12 months old (9 months adjusted) Caleb:

  • Weighs 14 lbs 15 oz (3rd percentile)--12 lbs 8 oz more than at birth, and a gain of exactly 3 pounds in the last three months
  • Measures 26.75 inches(10th percentile)--12.25 inches more than at birth
  • Has a head circumference in the 25th percentile
[So, growth has slowed down somewhat, but I guess it's to be expected. He's always been in the 3rd, 25th, and 50th percentiles for weight, height, and head, but three months ago we also discontinued fortifying his milk. And he's still looking good according to his own growth curve.]
  • Wears size 2 diapers
  • Wears size 3-6 month clothing
  • Drinks cow's milk (the doctor said that it was ok, although it would be better to keep him on formula for the nutrition for another three months, but he does waaaaaay better digesting cow's milk than he does formula--to the point where he won't eat at all if he's on formula--so we're just going to have to be ok with cow's milk. Maybe I'll throw a couple of bottles of formula in there every week. But, I have one 2.5 ounce bottle of frozen breastmilk left, and I'm waiting to give it to him until he feels better, so he can keep it down. We'll have a special mommy-baby cuddle session when I feed it to him. I'll probably cry.)
Caleb's milk mustache. He loves the taste of cow's milk.
  • Can crawl with his belly off of the floor for a good few feet

  • Can say "dog," has said "dada" a few times with true intent, and has said "mama" once with true intent
  • Has seven teeth
  • Can wave hello (sometimes)
  • Signs "all done" at the end of every feeding (well, it's more like he's batting the spoon away from his face, but I've been teaching the sign for "all done" and I think it counts)
  • Learned today how to give high-fives (and thinks it's so fun!)
  • Loves taking things out of containers (emptying my purse, to be specific)
  • Can pull himself up on his knees, if there's something short enough to pull himself up on (but he's really not that close to pulling himself up to a stand)
  • Still hasn't figured out how to go from his belly to sitting (he could do it if he tried, he just doesn't know it yet)
  • Still doesn't hold his own bottle
  • Still won't bounce on his legs (he keeps his knees locked, although they are relaxing a bit)
So, he's still delayed with a few things, but not bad enough to be concerned at this point. He's also quite advanced with some things. For instance, a baby isn't expected to say a word other than "mama" and "dada" until they're 11 months old. It seems to me that he's caught up to his actual age vocally and socially, but not physically. Except in using his pincer grasp--he's been doing that for three months now. (Here is a milestone chart.)


Caleb spent his birthday 1) sick, and 2) playing Baby Jesus in our church nativity. It was a traveling nativity, so they set us up in a room and took tours of about 15 people from room to room to show parts of the nativity, and they ended in our room. Nate was Joseph and I was Mary. Since our poor baby wasn't feeling well, he just rested in my arms and we snuggled for a few hours. It was a really good experience. I heard a lot of people crying when they walked in and saw our scene.

What Caleb looks like when sick:
Then:
Now:
Then:
Now:

Caleb with some of his birthday presents:

5 comments:

brenkachicka said...

Goodness I love that kid! Happy Birthday, Caleb!

J said...

Do you have any photos of your family from the nativity?

Cortney Scott said...

He is so precious. It seems like yesterday we were at the hospital and you showing me pics of him. I am so happy he is doing so well. It makes me super excited for when my daughter starts doing all those fun things.

Patrick, Adrienne, & Bella said...

that's awesome! :) he is such a little angel :)

and if you want, you could also do bottles with half formula/half milk. we did that just to get bella to drink cow's milk, so it might help if he needs the stuff in formula. :) if not hey, no biggie! he's awesome! :)

*X and AA* said...

Caleb's such a fighter! I am so happy that he's growing/developing so well. And I really CANNOT believe that you have a 1-year-old. GEEZ!