Sunday, April 14, 2013

Communicatin'

Receptive communication skills are my favorite milestone so far, with both of my boys.  Oh, how fun it is to see my babies understand me!  I can talk to them and ask them questions and they can answer me with words or gestures.  It's very handy!  Russell has been blowing me away with his receptive communication skills lately.  Here are some things that he has done:
_______________________________________
Nate had just finished giving Caleb a tube feeding in the living room, so he handed Russell Caleb's tubes and said, "Go bring these to Mommy."  I was in the kitchen, and before I know it I hear Russ behind me saying, "Money Money Money Money," while bringing Caleb's tubes over to me!  Then he went back to the living room and Nate gave him Caleb's formula bottle and told him to bring it to me, and it happened again!  "Money Money Money Money," and there's my little baby waddling over to me in the kitchen, bottle in hand!
_______________________________________
It was almost lunch time, so I said to Caleb, "Do you want a hot dog or a turkey sandwich?"  Russell eagerly looked at me and excitedly made the sign for "eat" over and over, stood up, and started walking as fast as he could to the dining room for lunch!
_______________________________________
Every time we're talking to someone (at our house, at church, at someone else's house, etc) and we start wrapping up the conversation by saying something like, "Well, thanks for coming," or "I'll see you next time," Russell immediately stops what he's doing to say, "Bye-bye!  Bye-bye!" while waving his little hand at them!
_______________________________________
Russell knows that when he wants something he has to say or sign "please."  He'll be wining at my feet for something and all I have to say is, "What do you say?"  He knows that the answer is "please!"
_______________________________________
Today as I was putting Russell in his high chair for lunch, he saw a little statue of a family on the ledge on the wall.  He pointed to it and said, "Dodjie!"  (That's how he says Daddy.)  Then, about five minutes later, as I was feeding him, he looked at me and said, "Dodjie?  Dodjie?"  I couldn't tell if he meant Daddy or doggy, because he pronounces them in exactly the same way, so I said, "Doggy?  The doggy is right there" (pointing to the dog a few feet away).  Russell looked at the dog and then pointed to the statue and said, "Dodjie" to clarify that he was asking about Daddy, not the dog!  I told him that Daddy and Caleb were walking home and that they'd be here any minute.  And that was the end of it.  He just wanted to know where Daddy was!
_______________________________________


No comments: