Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mommy Walks and Horsey Talks

There are two things that are essential to my sanity as a stay-at-home mom: mommy walks and horsey talks.

Mommy Walks:

I have one neighbor, G, who has twins, L and J, who were born 5 weeks early. They were our NICU neighbors as well as our actual neighbors. That's super handy, because we can share preemie experiences and troubleshoot together. And plus I just like G and her babies. They're fun.

My other neighbor, A, has a baby, N, who is supposed to be pretty much the exact same age as The Kid (supposing The Kid had been born on time). That's super handy, because they're on the same page developmentally. And plus A and her baby are just so darn nice.

We all go walking together every morning for a few hours. Sure, I don't get much done around the house, but really, would I get anything done if I spent all morning at home? Not likely. This way, I get a little exercise, a little sun, and I actually get to talk to people with vocabularies.
Top row: G, Me, and The Kid (playing with A's hair). Bottom row: L, J, A, & N.
Ah, to have friends...so nice, so nice.


Horsey Talks:

When The Boy gets home from work, he stays in with The Kid and I take five minutes to go feed the horses. (It actually only takes two minutes, but I take time to scratch them and talk to them.) Remember when there was once a time when I wasn't always around another human? When my identity was as an individual? There's nothing better than being Mommy to The Kid, but it's nice to have a little time to myself. It's another part of sanity maintenance.
I just wish I was on the other side of the camera in this picture...
the side where I would be on the horse.

No comments: