Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What Came First...The Chicken or The Egg?

Or let's ask this...what came first, the infection or the dilation?

No one really knows why The Kid was 13 weeks early. There are three things that we know:
1) I dilated to 4 cm without contractions.
2) My placenta had two infections--group B strep and staph aureus.
3) The Kid showed very slight signs of infection when born. If he had been born any later, the infection would have gotten to him and it would have been very bad news indeed.

When women go into labor because of an infection, labor generally starts with contractions.

When a woman dilates without symptoms, because of an incompetent cervix, she will generally deliver her baby around 23 or 24 weeks gestation. The Kid was born at 27 weeks.

If my cervix was only slightly incompetent and opened early, it could have allowed an infection to get in. Or I could have somehow gotten infected, which caused my cervix to open early (my body would have recognized the risk of being infected and tried to get rid of the infection by getting rid of the pregnancy).

So, what happens next time? Who knows. If the infection came first, we could expect that everything would be fine next time and I would have a healthy pregnancy and full-term baby. If the dilation came first...oh boy. Two medical professionals who I trust very much said that they see more harm than good from cerclages (when they put a stitch in your cervix to keep it from opening prematurely, and then remove it when the baby is safe to be born).

All that I can expect, either way, is to be watched very closely by my doctor.

And the next question...what if I have another micro preemie? Can I expect that it will always be like that, and having more biological children is too risky? Should we move on to adoption as a way to expand our family? Who knows.

There are so many unknowns. I guess I'll just try not to think about it for now. It will still be quite a while before we have another baby. And when it is time, I'll still have a lot to focus on when it comes to getting pregnant again. That, in itself, is quite a challenge.

I don't want to count my eggs before they hatch. I have hatched one...and he counts for a lot.

1 comment:

brenkachicka said...

He's such a cute baby. Totally looks like Nate in that picture! Especially the forehead!