Thursday, May 6, 2010

Whew

The Kid saw The Doctor again. We had a six-month well child appointment, but when The Kid wasn't gaining weight fast enough (as recorded by the home health nurse) I called and asked what to do and The Doc wanted to see us sooner. Well, The Kid'll be six months old next week, so it's not that big of a deal. And just about one day after calling, The Kid started eating like a champ. I'm not so worried any more, and neither is The Doc, even though The Kid is in the 3rd percentile for weight--he is 10 lbs 2 oz. He is being compared to babies who are his actual age, not his adjusted age, so that's really not too bad. He's pretty much caught up in height (25th percentile--23.5 inches) and head circumference (50th percentile).

I like The Doc. He said, "I can tell by the unconcerned look on your face that we really don't have a problem with weight at this point. I fully expect him to start gaining like mad any day now." He's good, isn't he? How many doctors really read the expression on your face?

And The Doc said, "The whole, entire reason why The Kid is doing so well is because of all of the hard work that you're doing with him. You're doing a great job." Ok, is he just taking the approaching Mother's Day seriously, taking it upon himself to make sure that I feel valued, or is he just the best doctor in the world? Because honestly, day by day I think my job is pretty darn great, but looking back on everything...if I let the emotions catch up to me...it's been a little tough. Maybe more than a little. But if I let myself think that then I'll get stressed. I may still be in survival mode because that's the only way that I can cope with it all, and now that I don't have quite as much to be worried about (I mean, my kid is eating! plenty! on his own!) the weight of the past six months could very well all come crashing down any day now. I hope not. I hope the buried stress just melts off a little at a time until my life can be considered "normal" again. That's the plan, anyway. But really, does anything ever really go according to plan? I kinda don't think so.

Either way, I'll be ok. I've got a great husband and this great kid. Who could really ask for more?


at birth


almost six months later

3 comments:

brenkachicka said...

Wow. Those pictures say it all!

e. del mar said...

so happy everything is going well with the kid. he's beautiful. it's amazing to see miracles unwrap themselves.

*Alice Anne* said...

Awwwwwww! I absolutely LOVE these pictures.