Monday, May 21, 2012

Russell is 5 months old!

Where has the time gone?  Seriously, these boys just don't stop getting older!  (It's just getting bigger that we have a problem with!)

At 5 months, Russell:

  • Fits size 0-3 month clothes perfectly except for his arms, which are too long to be covered to the wrist.  Yes, my 5-month-old wears size 0-3 month onesies, pajamas, pants...everything.  We haven't felt the need to get out any 3-6 month clothes yet.  Yep, he's a little bit small.  Look at those ribs!: 
  • Wears size 2 diapers (thankfully he can wear the cheap brand of Huggies...Caleb is allergic to everything but Huggies Little Movers, Huggies Pure & Natural, and Pampers Sensitive.  But then, Russell is allergic to wipes.  Seriously, kids!  If you're gonna have allergies, you should be allergic to the same things!  It would make my life easier!)
  • Is rolling over proficiently.  He actually enjoys being on his tummy now that he has control over it.  He sleeps on his tummy, too, even though I always lay him down on his back
  • Is in some sort of hurry to get places.  Look at him trying to get his knees up under himself!  He hasn't tried to do this since then, but still, I swear he'll be crawling before I know it!


[And notice the bond between the two boys?  Russell loves Caleb, and Caleb loves Baby Russell!  Caleb never, ever, ever holds still for that long unless he's asleep!  He won't even hold still that long while watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!  He just really loves his brother.  :)]
  • Sleeps in his own room.  After my sister moved back to the Northwoods, Nate and I decided that it was time to get Russell sleeping better.  So we moved Russell out of the bassinet in our room and into the pack'n'play in his own room.  (This was the first night that Russell learned how to roll onto his tummy, so it was good timing!  He has been sleeping on his tummy from that night on!)  Before that night, teething had ruined him.  He was waking up 5-8 times a night, and the only thing that would comfort him was nursing.  The most sleep I got for those few weeks was while he was nursing.  It was wearing on us all.  So Nate spent the first few nights in Russell's room with him and we set some rules: 1) Russell was not allowed to sleep in bed with Nate. 2) If he woke up more often than every four hours, he wasn't allowed to nurse and Nate had to find ways to comfort him without bringing him in to me (I couldn't be in the same room as him because if he could smell me then all he would want to do is nurse). 3) When Nate brought him to me so I could feed him, I had to set a timer so he wouldn't nurse for more than 20 minutes total.  We had a habit of falling asleep in bed together and I would wake up an hour later to put him back to bed, and he would wake up 30 minutes later to eat again.  The sleep I got was never very good quality, and he used me as a binky.  After a couple weeks of 20 minutes of nursing, I decreased it to 14 minutes.  In a few more days I'll decrease it to 12 minutes, and so on, until he doesn't feel the need to be full during the night and can sleep longer without needing to nurse at all!
  • Goes to bed around 9-10PM and wakes up to eat at about 3AM and 8AM (although sometimes it's more like 1AM, 4AM, & 9AM).  Right after his 8AM feeding we chat for a few minutes and then I put him down for his "morning nap" (I know, it's a lot to expect, but that's how it worked for Caleb and it fits with our lifestyle).  He then sleeps until 11AM or noon, when I feed him again.  Then three hours later I feed him again and put him down for his afternoon nap, around 3PM.  Then he sleeps until about 6PM, when he and Caleb both get up from their naps and we eat and play for three hours and go to bed!  It works for us :)
  • Has a favorite toy:

  • Looooves being held up in the air and kind of shaken.  He also loves it when you make him "dance."  This kid just loves movement!
  • Is getting Caleb's long, dark, curling eyelashes.  YES!  *insert fist-pump here*
  • Finds comfort in holding and chewing on my hair (just like Caleb did) and holding his feet.  Yes, that's right.  When I change his diaper and clothes and he's not happy because he would rather be held, he grabs a foot and holds it (sometimes chews on it) and it calms him down.  Just today he fell asleep playing with his foot and he slept with it in his hands for a good 20 minutes (until he woke up)!  I think it's rather cute.  :)  I just hope he doesn't start sucking on his toes like a thumb...that could turn into quite the gross habit!
  • Does well in the little cheap-o stroller, but boy do I miss our nice Chicco! Just look at that face!  I could eat him up!
  • Sucks on his lower lip off and on for about half an hour when he's done nursing.  It's so nice that he's developed a few self-soothing methods lately!
         
  • Is still super duper ticklish!  And just gets more and more irresistible!:

1 comment:

amyeli33 said...

Yeah. Russell looks pretty skinny, but it sounds like he is doing well. I am glad to hear him and Caleb are getting along okay for Caleb only being 2 years old. :)